Specialties from Normandie

dimanche, septembre 16

Film festival closing thoughts

A week later, and I can say I have had my fill of the lives of the rich and famous. I am sick of feeling unworthy. Sick of feeling poor, like I can't even afford (or am too cheap-the more likely possibility) to replace my pantyhose that have several visible touch-ups of clear nail polish. Sick of saying hello to people who make eye contact with me and then just look away, like I am not worthy of a greeting from their botox-injected lips. I worked at 2 hotels- the Normandy and the Hotel Royal. The Royal had mostly the American celebrities, and the Normandy, the French ones. Oddly enough, I felt more belittled in the Normandy. By the end of my long five days, I was so dégouté by this atmosphere of waiting hand and foot on people who, most of which I'm sure, are only famous because they happen to be born beautiful and/or are the brother of so-and-so. I understand there are those in Hollywood who are self-made stars, who have worked their way to the top from nothing- but these are the people who should understand the most what it is to work in the service industry. That we are all human beings, and that they are no better than the person standing across the counter from them.

My first day was definitely amazing- but I guess it took me a day to get over being star-struck and to see this world for what it really is. I would say that overall, I did enjoy my experience (except that whole extreme bordom factor when there was no one around) and that I learned alot about a milieu that I don't know, will never understand or be able to accept. It's good to learn what you want to do in life, but as well, what you don't.